Sunday, August 16, 2009

DC Vacation_Sunday Report

Got to Arlington Friday night. Easy traveling even with one hour delay getting out of Minneapolis. Bit of trouble coordinating 2 bags on wheels (using a backpack with wheels) and the escaltor. I tumbled at the top of one and received a lovely scrap/rug burn on my right knee and had a chunk of skin partially scrapped off the left knee. No major damage. Left knee looks gross as it heals under loose skin, but I'm not taking that skin off until it heals underneath. Luckily, Justin had gauze pads at his house and we got to the grocery store to pick up all needed supplies. It didn't deter us having a very good dinner at a Thai place right across the street from his apartment building. Foolish man had actually never eaten there.

Saturday I slept until 10 and then we took the train to DC. Had lunch at a Belgian restaurant. I had the Belgian version of French toast. It was more of waffle than the thick French toast I'm used to, but it was very good. Then went to wander around Eastern Market. Eastern Market is the oldest public market in DC. It is the market for the Capitol Hill neighborhood. The old building had a big fire that looked like the end of the market, but a great partnership between community activists and the local government rebuilt and restored the building. It was teeming with folks on a Saturday afternoon.

Justin and I did a quick visit to the American History Museum and toured the section on the presidency and a special section on Lincoln. Then he bought me dinner at a very nice Indian place called Rasika, where I had a Lamb dish that was excellent. After all the heat and walking I was quite hungry. Drank lots of water too. We finished DC for the evening seeing Ponyo. It is another great animated movie from the Japanese animation master Hayao Miyazaki. If you love animated movies, you need to see this man's films.

Sunday is a quieter day. Slept late. Had lunch at a Five Guy's Burgers and Fries which Obama loves. Not a place for those with peanut allergies. They use peanut oil for the fries and have a box of free shelled peanuts to munch on as you wait for your food. Good burger made to your specifications. Then a stop at a used CD and DVD shop which I saw and Justin hadn't yet discovered in his part of Arlington. Now I write this, plot tomorrow's tourist mania, and escape the heat for awhile. May go to another movie tonight. It will be the sci-fi film District 9.

I'll post pictures when I take them. I didn't take the camera yesterday. I'll have it tomorrow and Tuesday. I know where the train station is and where to get off. I'll look like all the other sweating tourists among the monuments and museums. It is going to be great fun.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

In there a rule that the first thing that needs to be done when you get to friends or family is go to the store for food. What an odd tradition. Does this mean we are very, very busy people?

4:50 PM  
Blogger redbarb said...

In this case all it meant was that Justin had been out of town for a week.

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home