Sunday, May 27, 2007

Of Pirates and Popcorn

Thirty years ago this summer the original "Star Wars" film mesmerized me and millions of others. That film started George Lucas's empire and not only set my course as a full-fledged sci-fi geek, but also set my standard for what makes a quality summer popcorn movies.

My standard does not require the film enthrall me to the point where I am remain fascinated 30 years later. I don't expect I'll have another movie experience like "Star Wars." What I want from summer popcorn movies is the complete escape into whatever world the movie is creating. I also want to find myself emotionally drawn to the characters and the story. I can forgive film making flaws of acting, script and specials effects if I get lost in the movie and care what happens to the characters in the story of the movie. If I am thinking about the outside world the movie is not doing it's job. I didn't review Spiderman 3 here, but it failed this standard for me.

Four years ago, "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl" easily met my summer popcorn standard. Johnny Depp's roguish and rather askew Captain Jack Sparrow lead the audience through a fantastical romp with humor, romance and wonderfully choreographed sword fights. As a lifetime fan of Errol Flynn movies, I love a good movie sword fight. I was disappointed last summer with "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest." It was a weak return of Captain Jack and friends. The humor seemed stilted, the sword fights seemed created by committee and the story was a 2 hour 30 minute set up for the third film. With that set up I had very low expectations for the third film.

I am happy to report that though "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" is quite long and takes awhile to find Jack Sparrow, it meets the summer popcorn movie standard. If you've got 3 hours for a movie (time includes trailers) and want to run away from reality, spend it with this new adventure from the Disney movie factory. Depp's Jack Sparrow is marvelously crazy like a fox. The movies various stories and new characters hold your interest and it even has a surprise or two not expected in a summer popcorn movie. To avoid spoilers I'll avoid writing on details until I add "spoiler space" below. If you liked the first film but were disappointed by the 2nd as I was, give this one a chance and see if it brings back that marvelous escape of the all good summer popcorn movies. I understand Depp is retiring Captain Jack, so I hope Disney will be willing to retire the films and move on. It is Depp who is the linchpin to all of these movies. He brought a marvelous character to life and brought pirates back among our favorite romanticized outlaws. Whatever odd, obscure movies he may do in the future, Johnny Depp will be remembered and loved as Captain Jack.

S

P

O

I

L

E

R


S

P

A

C

E


Now, a few thoughts on the film in more detail...

This movie makes no pretense of being based on anything in reality. It creates a world of pirate mythology beyond Davy Jones' locker. There actually is a pirate code and enforced by Jack's dad played by Keith Richards. There is even a pirate "king." The afterlife is a place that can be found and visited; a goddess can be bound by ropes; and rocks can become crabs who can carry a ship. I think that complete rejection of all reality is the only way to play this story and its characters. If you can't put reality aside and just go along for the ride, you should spend your money going to a ballgame.

I was surprised how well they held together all the parts of story. The 2nd film had several subplots and this one has to deal with that and does it remarkably well. The romance is resolved with one of the best movie weddings ever. Davy Jones becomes more than a monster but remains monstrous to the end. He contributes to a shock for our romantic couple of Keira Knightly and Orlando Bloom that I didn't expect from a Disney movie. Jack Sparrow's insanity is played for all it's worth and made a bit too obvious at times. I liked wondering just how crazy he was versus how much it was an act to distract his foes. The villainy of the East India Company is just played as understood. Not surprising in a pirate movie and it is an aspect you just have to go with.

I'll finish by commenting on the ending that clearly sets up another story if Johnny Depp could be talked/bribed into it. I hope it doesn't get made. Let the fans' imaginations play out scenarios of how Jack will get the Black Pearl back and how Will and Elizabeth can overcome time and/or death. Rarely are Hollywood studios smart enough to leave a story as it is. For years, there were rumors of a sequel to "Gone with the Wind" and "Casablanca." This movie isn't in their league, but the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy are the finest movies that will ever be made based only a rather dorky amusement park ride. Someone please tell Disney to go make a new ride and leave the story to play as any fan wishes in her/his mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home