Friday, January 11, 2008

New Hypothesis

I have been puzzling out a new hypothesis for Hillary's New Hampshire win. The focus has been on how she did better than the polls expected even though Obama did fairly close to what was expected. This fact forgets that there were other people on the ballot. In particular, John Edwards, based on my memory, didn't generate the votes projected for him either. This fits the view that Hillary's unexpected results came from women making less than $50,000, with no college degree and other demographic factors most associated with America's working class. Did these voters finally decide between Edwards and Clinton? The publicly available exit poll data doesn't reveal such a connection, but I believe it to be a hypothesis worthy of exploring, especially by the candidates' number crunchers. Hillary's victory speech sounded much more like Edwards' then she had to that point. Maybe she was already singing to this part of the Democratic choir.

By the way, I can't remember where I read it now, but I understand that pollsters are avoiding the Nevada caucuses out of fear of even greater failure. Unlike Iowa, there is no track record in Nevada for who will caucus and who will not so the pollster would be guessing at who the "likely voters" will be. The last data pollster.com has for its charts is from Dec. 6, 2007. Look for leaked data from the candidates' internal polling, but take all that info with the ton of salt it deserves.

5 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne Lanoue said...

Wow, didn't know you were back to posting!

Sounds like you really enjoyed yourself while there.

Who are you voting for, or do you know yet?

10:03 AM  
Blogger redbarb said...

I am rooting for Obama,but haven't decided if I'm going to go and vote in the Democratic caucus here. I'm not anxious to get their phone calls asking for money.

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm suprised at the media's cowardice about polling Nevada. Since they blew NH so badly, what do they have to lose?

As for the race itself, I think I'm favoring Hillary. This makes me very uncomfortable for some reason. I listened to a couple of dirtbags on local radio a few days ago talk about how Obama might allow his Muslim cousins to visit the White House and how his father may have had three wives. I suspect we'll have a whole summer of this crap if Obama gets the nomination.

But that's not the reason I favor Hillary. I just think she will be better able to face down the s---storm that will rain down on whoever wins the Democratic nomination.

11:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.

9:18 AM  
Blogger redbarb said...

E-5, please feel free to spell out your swear words. I think blogger can take it.

Crescenet, I am honored to be added to your blogger roll. I tried you site. Is there an English translation button I missed? I am an ignorant American with no foreign language skills.

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home