Tuesday, July 15, 2008

I have the best sister, ever! by Janet

Tuesday in, as the British say, Baaath. All day to do anything thing we want and what I wanted to do was anything Jane Austen related and Barb is letting me. That is why she is the BEST SISTER EVER!

Barb had scouted out things yesterday while the group went to Bristol to see the Charles Wesley home and the "New House," what is considered the first Methodist Church. Then we "dipped our toes" in Wales and thanks to my step-sister, Becky, I am bring a special present back from there. (more details on that when I get back to the States.)

This morning Barb and I walked around Bath using the book she had bought me, "Jane Austen's Bath" to locate places Jane would have seen and gone. (We did take two side trips. We had tea and a bun at "Sally Lunn's" and a side trip to the "House of Bears." Barb and I each picked one up.

My bear came with the name "Lilly" and her eyes seem to follow you. I hope two thing when I add her to my collection, that I can put her high enough that the cats will not get to her and that some morning I don't find her next to me in my bed; I hope that I do not find she had the ablity to walk around by herself, she seems so life-like.

We ended our morning tour with, what else, tea at the Jane Austen Center. (and of course spending money at the gift shop.) 18 months ago when I started talking to Barb about the trip, I told her that I would follow her around and do anything thing that she wanted me to do while we are in Britain but, she HAD to come with me for high tea at the Jane Austen Center and I would "play Mum" or pour the tea.

We had the "Tea with Mr. Darcy" selection and the Jane Austen Tea. Finger sandwiches, scones and two kinds of cake. I only had to tell Barb once to keep her elbows off the table but I now how a big food stain on my top (silly Americans) but all in all I am having a great time and am so glad that I "jumped the pond."

2 Comments:

Blogger JVaughan said...

Greetings Again!:

If only British culture were not becoming so _DEUCEDLY_ Americanized, not only in the proliferation of American-type commercial establishments as mentioned in an earlier post here, but in use of American colloquialisms and slang as well! The posts written in this section of the blog are actually often more classy than what some "Brits" might write!

Pleased, as usual, that this seems to find you well,

J. V.

6:56 AM  
Blogger JVaughan said...

From what I heard, the two Wesley brothers could not have been more different, Charles Wesley having been more of a Calvinist than his Arminian, more-traditionally-Methodist brother.

J. V.

7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home