Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Brilliant

A friend asked me what is was about Barack Obama that creates such intensity. I didn't have much of an answer beyond the idea that he represented a chance for real change from the past 30 years of American politics. Today, Obama provided a much better answer by giving the best speech on race in America since the Civil Rights Movement ended. It is brave, intelligent, challenging and, honestly, it made me cry. (That's not that hard.) He introduced white America to the lingering anger of blacks and black America to the resentment of many whites. He dared the media to stop playing games and actually discuss the issue. He challenged us all to actually go forward on the issue which we have avoided since Dr. King was murdered.

If you haven't read it or heard it go here. If you want to see it go here.

I have spent my life in white America. My connections with other cultures is mostly peripheral. However, I was blessed with two parents who knew all the ugliness of growing up in segregated, racist America who taught me tolerance and respect for all. I have seen too much casual exploitation of race for humor, attention and an excuse for failure. Overwhelmingly what I have experienced personally is from whites because of my limited experiences, but I make no claim that the problem being only among whites. My view, like Obama's, is that the problem belongs to all of us and requires all of us to overcome.

My view is also that he is the best shot we've got to have a president with the courage to challenge us to do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home