Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Hello from Albuquerque

I am in Albuquerque attending a conference and dropped in to say "hi" to my vast number of readers. This isn't a political science conference. It is a popular/American culture conference where I am presenting a project with a computer science professor about memes and political blogs. It will be very different for me, but it will be fun.

Albuquerque's downtown is not really bustling, but I did go to a Brazilian Grille restaurant that was recommended to me and it was fantastic. For $11.95 I got a tremendous salad bar, plus my choice of whatever meat, etc. that I wanted from a server bring in it over on skewers. Since I hadn't eaten since breakfast at the Minneapolis airport, I splurged. I had a fried banana, which is better than it sounds since it wasn't state fair food. I had roasted pineapple with some sort of glaze on it. I had sirloin. I had fish. I had what must be Brazilian bbq. I didn't catch the names, but if you are interested go to Tucanos website (no link as it is not currently working) and see for yourself. I highly recommend it, if you are ever in Albuquerque.

Now that I am stuffed and sleepy from heading to the airport at 5:30 in the morning, I am going to spend the evening lounging in my hotel room. I'll watch the sun change the colors on the mountains in the distance. I'll watch Obama sweep through Virginia, Maryland and DC. I'll probably be asleep early.

The panels start at 10 am and I'm heading for one on law and the Internet. Later in the day I'll head for a panel featuring presentations on online TV show fans and the depiction of war on TV. I am going to get my education expanded over the rest of the week. This is an academic conference so this is overwhelmingly professors talking TV, sci-fi/fantasy, native American culture, Shakespeare, feminism, theater, gaming and Will Rogers. We revel in our geekdom this week.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun conference.

Yeah, downtown ABQ isn't much. I was at a conference there a couple of years ago, and was surpised how dead it was. The nightlife is even more pathetic--about a block of bars and restaurants, and nothing else. Little Rock was better.

9:00 PM  
Blogger JVaughan said...

That was obviously _QUITE_ a feast!

Apart from his position on the War, I expect you may not be thrilled with this, but I think Dr. Ron Paul is the candidate with whom I would be most comfortable, long shot at best though he be. I attended Former Governor Huckabee's rally at the University of Maryland this past weekend, and, despite his support for returning arts instruction to the schools, I was not otherwise thrilled, particularly, unsubstantive though this be, with his, in my opinion, excessively-casual speaking manner and the cuteness of an admittedly-kind man who got me to him afterward for a brief word. He kept cutely calling me by my first name, sometimes calling me "bro," something which, dare I say it in these increasingly-off-handed times, I dislike at best! And yes, our current President is rather vernacular in his lighter moments as well. In addition to taking positions with which I would be comfortable, I would personally prefer my President to act like a gentleman or lady.

I hope you did not find my admittedly-maverick views too distasteful, and continue to wish you well despite our political and possibly-other differences!

J. V.

4:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home