Saturday, February 02, 2008

Super Bowl Sunday

I know I have watched every Super Bowl since Super Bowl IV in January 1970. I may have watched the first 3, but my memory only begins with my beloved Chiefs' win over the
Vikings in Super Bowl IV. It was the last game played by an AFL team as the two leagues merged the next season. It solidified AFL teams as equals. No one could call the Jets win of the year before as a fluke after the Chiefs won 23 -7. In those days the game started in mid-afternoon. I remember thinking it took forever to get the game started and I'm sure I drove my parents and siblings to distraction that day. It was the greatest day in my first 7 years on the planet.

It's been a long time since the Chiefs glory days, but I still follow them intently and love watching all the football I can on fall weekends. I own a satellite dish largely because it allows me to get the NFL package and see all the games. Now I even pay for the HD package. HD is most noticeable in sports broadcasts and nature shows. The average sitcom is not much different on HD. This will be my first Super Bowl with HD and I am hoping the extra camera work the game has will be even more fun with HD.

This will be the 10th year of my Super Bowl Party. I am not someone who is big on parties, especially organizing them myself. However, 10 years ago I just couldn't face the Packers/Broncos game without help. So I invited several friends to join me. Nothing spectacular. I provide the drinks and a few snacks. They bring other food and we watch the game, talk and just have a good time. My house confines the number to 6 or 7 people each year, but I am happy to say that everyone seems to look forward to the party. I tell them that it'll be an annual event until my Chiefs get back to the game. On that day, just like when I was 7, you'll not really want to be around me. Until then I'll have my little party and enjoy sharing the game with a few friends.

I'll be rooting for the Patriots to finish their undefeated season. I will do this for two reasons: 1) I want to see history and hope we get a better game than when the Dolphins did it in 1972. That was a really boring game even though it was close with a final of 14-7. 2)The 1972 Dolphins have irritated all of us long enough on how great they were. They were undefeated, but they weren't even the best team of that decade much less of all time. Since 1985 they've made a bit too much of how they celebrate the loss of the last undefeated team. They need to share the distinction of being undefeated and learn a bit of humility and sportsmanship after all these years.

Oh yeah, New England's a better team than the Giants and I don't think they'll blow perfection now.

Now I will make my annual attempt to name all the Super Bowl winners in order. I am usually good until the late 1980's when I seemed to have stopped wanting to remember much until the late 1990's. It overlaps with my years living in Texas, so I'll blame it on that state affecting my mind. You can check my effort on Superbowl.com to see how I did. You'll have to trust me when I post the update on my score after checking on my work myself.

I Packers over Chiefs
II Packers over Raiders
III Jets over Baltimore Colts
IV Chiefs over Vikings
V Baltimore Colts over Cowboys
VI Cowboys over Dolphins
VII Dolphins over Redskins
VIII Dolphins over Vikings
IX Steelers over Vikings
X Steelers over Cowboys
XI Oakland Raiders over Vikings
XII Cowboys over Broncos
XIII Steelers over Cowboys
XIV Steelers over LA Rams
XV Oakland Raiders over Eagles
XVI 49ers over Bengals
XVII Redskins over Dolphins
XVIII LA Raiders over Redskins
XIX 49ers over Dolphins
XX Bears over Patriots
XXI Giants over Broncos
XXII Redskins over Broncos
XXIII 49ers over Bengals
XXIV 49ers over Broncos
XXV Giants over Bills
XXVI Redskins over Bills
XXVII Cowboys over Bills
XXVIII Cowboys over Bills
XXIX 49ers over Chargers
XXX Cowboys over Steelers
XXXI Packers over Patriots
XXXII Broncos over Packers
XXXIII Broncos over Falcons
XXXV Ravens over Giants
XXXIV St. Louis Rams over Titans
XXXVI Patriots over St. Louis Rams
XXXVII Bucs over Oakland Raiders
XXXVIII Patriots over Carolina
XXXIX Patriots over Eagles
XL Steelers over Seahawks
XLI Indianapolis Colts over Bears

I think I've gotten the winners, but not sure about a couple of the losers. I'll be back after I check the official list.

Update: I mixed up Super Bowl XI and XII. I'll blame that on not wanting to remember when the Raiders finally won a Super Bowl. Lots of mistakes beginning in late 1980s so I've put all my corrected answers in blue. My errors seem to be correlated with AFC West teams. I want to forget the first time any of them got to the big game and want the Broncos to have lost more than they actually did.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a tough one for me. Hate the Mannings, hate the Patriots. But I guess I'm happy about the outcome. When it doubt, I root for the 70s.

I recall the Dolphins/Washington Superbowl as a pretty boring grind-it-out affair punctuated by Yepremians brief and wildly unsuccessful attempt to be Johnny Unitas (passing on a botched FG and having his fumble returned for DC's only score). I recall that I hated George Allen back then, even before I had any idea that his son would be such a jackass.

And I enjoy the fact that every morning that Belichick wakes up for the next six months, his first thought will be "18-1".

9:38 PM  
Blogger redbarb said...

The game was great even if it did make me look stupid. This is why I don't bet games. I watched the Patriots lose with the same detached view I have when I watch Canadian election results. Interesting for sure and once in a generation or so historic, but no emotional pain comes with the loss.

As for Bellichick, he has now sealed his fate as the biggest jerk in the NFL coaching ranks. I cannot think of another head coach who would leave the field before the final play as he did. He just left his own players there to run and hide from the failure.

12:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home